Tips for Teaching with CALL: Practical Approaches to Computer-Assisted Language Learning, by Carol A. Chapelle and Joan Jamieson, introduces English language teachers to computer-assisted language learning, or CALL. This practical reference book links specific techniques for using CALL with contemporary CALL research. The book and companion CD-ROM clearly demonstrate why and how to use CALL to teach vocabulary, grammar, reading, writing, listening, speaking, communication skills, and content-based language.
Features of the Book:
- Color screenshots of authentic CALL software, along with descriptions, level information, and notes, illustrate more than 100 real examples.
- Concrete tips at the beginning of each chapter help teachers get students working productively with electronic texts.
- What the research says and What the teacher can do sections link pedagogical research with classroom techniques.
- Specific topics covered in different chapters include Vocabulary, Grammar, Reading, Writing, Listening, Speaking, Communication Skills, and Content-Based Language.
- Focus questions at the end of each chapter guide teachers in selecting appropriate CALL activities for their students' needs.
Features of the CD-ROM:
- Interactive video clips show application of tips from each chapter.
- Demonstration tips show students using authentic CALL software.
- Simulation tips guide teachers through using authentic CALL programs.
The Tips for Teaching series covers topics of practical classroom-centered interest for English language teachers. Written in clearly comprehensible terms, each book offers soundly conceived practical approaches to classroom instruction that are firnly grounded in current pedagogical research.
Windows® 2000/XP/Vista or Mac OSX (10.3 or higher)
Microsoft Internet Explorer® 6.x, SafariTM 1.x, Firefox® 1.x, Mozilla® 1.x, NetscapeTM 7.x or later
256 MB RAM minimum (512+ MB recommended)
500 MB available hard drive space
Monitor resolution of 1024 x 768 or higher
Sound card and speakers
CD-ROM drive (10x or faster)
Adobe® Flash® 8 plug-in or higher (Note: If your computer does not have this plug-in, and Internet connection is required for installation.)