The new and improved Reading & Writing strand now offers an Interactive Student Book powered
by MyEnglishLab. The Interactive Student Book allows students and teachers to better assess
progress. Teachers can now monitor student performance to personalize learning and increase
The five-level NorthStar series engages students through a seamless integration of compelling print and
online content and empowers them to achieve their academic and personal goals in order to meet the
challenges of the 21st century. The Reading & Writing strands are designed to challenge students to
move beyond basic comprehension to higher-level analysis.
• Current and thought-provoking readings from a variety of contrasting genres stimulate students
intellectually. The authentic content engages students, links them to language use outside the
classroom, and encourages personal expression and critical thinking.
• Explicit language-skills development throughout each unit provides students with systematic
and multiple exposures to language forms and structures in a variety of contexts. Concise
presentations and targeted practice in print and online build students’ language proficiency.
• Writing sections integrate the unit’s concepts, vocabulary, and grammar, leading students through
the writing process. Students learn revising techniques that help them move toward coherence
and unity in their writing.
• A variety of online assessments tied to learning outcomes allows teachers to individualize
instruction and track student progress.
• Teacher Resources in MyEnglishLab include the scope and sequence, digital student book,
downloadable achievement tests, classroom audio, audioscripts, video activities, videoscripts,
teacher’s manual, answer keys, and a downloadable placement test.