NorthStar, Fifth Edition is an integrated-skills English course that empowers adult and young
adult English language learners to achieve their academic and personal goals. Current and
thought-provoking topics promote language development and critical thinking skills.
Building on the success of previous editions, this new fifth edition engages and motivates
students with new and updated content.
What is new in the fifth edition?
• New and updated content with a new theme keeps students motivated.
• The new design and imagery bring the activities to life.
• Learning outcomes are created using the Global Scale of English (GSE) so students can see
their progress more easily.
• Every unit offers note-taking practice and writing skill development.
• Scaffolded critical thinking activities are clearly marked to help students develop their
• Academic Word List words are highlighted to help students identify essential vocabulary.
• New and updated activities in MyEnglishLab provide additional practice online.
• ExamView Test Generator allows teachers to customize assessments.
• Students can complete activities, listen to audio, and watch video on the go with the
Pearson Practice English App.